The World PEAS Food Hub is a program of New Entry Sustainable Farming Project (New Entry). Our Food Hub embodies a unique relationship between producers and consumers, which benefits consumers, small-scale limited-resource farmers, local communities and the environment. New Entry is committed to providing training and education to beginning, immigrant, and refugee farmers. New Entry is a fiscally sponsored project of Third Sector New England.
Oversee operation of the multi-farmer World PEAS Food Hub distributing fresh, locally-grown produce throughout the Merrimack Valley and Boston area. Operations include a 400-share Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, multiple wholesale accounts and a variety of community partnerships serving low-income and food insecure individuals. Goals include growth of the operation by expanding market channels and diversifying CSA offerings, increasing number of food access partnerships and establishing an institutional marketing program.
Key Job Elements
This position has three distinct focus areas:
1. Marketing, Sales, and Outreach
- Work with Food Hub Manager, buyers and site contacts to research, establish and target annual sales goals and projections;
- Establish new market opportunities and maintain or expand current partnerships with produce buyers;
- Build new relationships to expand New Entry’s Food Access programs to reach more organizations in low-income communities;
- Support marketing efforts through regular communication strategies and social media;
- Work with Manager to continuously monitor progress in reaching sales targets, including documenting outcomes and reporting.
2. Operations Management
- Establish and maintain relationships with New Entry farmers and regional farmers to manage weekly sourcing, order fulfillment and delivery systems;
- Supervise Operations Assistant;
- Oversee management of a group of 10 volunteer warehouse packers;
- Supervise Delivery Driver; provide backup delivery driver support in the event that Delivery Drivers are not available;
- Track sales, collect invoices and assist Manager with billing;
- Provide excellent customer service.
3. Farmer Training
- Support New Entry’s Farmer Training team to assist program farmers in the off season to develop individual production schedules, crop plans, marketing plans and sales goals for diverse markets, including the World PEAS Food Hub;
- Assess and document crop quality and provide Farmer Training team with technical assistance recommendations;
- Assist farmers in obtaining certifications, insurance and other compliance documents required to sell to the Food Hub and other markets;
- Collaborate with Manager to monitor World PEAS Food Hub membership guidelines, including producer requirements, pricing structures, procedures and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, 5 years of experience overseeing CSA operations may substitute for degree. Master’s Degree preferred;
- Prior experience in managing a food-based social enterprise or agricultural business is essential. Agricultural training and experience in multiple aspects of farming is a plus.
- Experience in sales, marketing, produce buying, relationship-building and customer service;
- Ability to implement and oversee systems to maintain regulatory requirements for safe food handling;
- Community organizing and cross-cultural experience helpful; prepared and excited to build relationships with beginning, immigrant and refugee farmer participants;
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience required;
- Highly organized and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Self-motivated and self-directed with an entrepreneurial spirit to grow programs to the next level and exceed expectations;
- Effective communications, interpersonal skills and strong writing ability;
- Clean driving record;
- Confidence working with diverse software systems (MS Office, social media, Salesforce CRM, website content development, graphic design, Excel database, supply chain management tools);
- Access to reliable private transportation necessary;
- Flexible schedule needed, including evenings and weekends.
Ability to perform varied and repetitive warehouse tasks including manual lifting of boxes between 25-50 pounds, in conditions that vary from hot and humid, to cold and wet, and up and down stairs. Valid driver’s license and a clean Motor Vehicle Record; commercial driver’s license is preferred.
Anticipated salary is $47,500.00. Generous Benefits package included.