Job no: 492881
Work type: Staff Part-time
Location: Mount Holyoke College - Equestrian, South Hadley, MA
Categories: Service/Maintenance, Skilled Craft/Trade, Other
Position Type: Staff Part-time
Hours per week: vary, on-call
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: vary, on-call
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Perform all tasks relative to care for horses stabled at Mount Holyoke College and to take care of general maintenance of the facility and equipment while providing a welcome atmosphere to new students, boarders, prospective students, and the community. The hours/days for this shift will vary as it will primarily be used to cover full time staff during any leave time.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing hay and clean water to horses
- Feeding horses according to grain cards and making sure horses are consistently getting any supplements which are assigned. This entails reminder notes to boarders or advising the stable manager if and when their supplements run low.
- Turning out horses and rotating turn out regimes
- Cleaning 10-15 stalls daily. Infrequently there may be a need to do more than this as needed. Stable management will make every effort to minimize these occurrences
- General pick-up, sweeping, and neatening of stable. Examples: Cobwebbing Cleaning drains Cleaning Wash Stalls Changing trash bags Opening Hay Others as assigned Moving hay, grain, etc. Daily tasks such as cleaning outside tubs, mucking paddocks, racking up hay, leaves, etc. Regular facility maintenance projects and some seasonal/special projects as assigned. (Examples: Dragging Arenas, Raking outside areas, Moving jumps, Cleaning/dusting knee-walls in indoor arena’s, Readying paddocks for overnight turn out, Preparing for boarders return, Others as assigned)
- Some basic first aid as needed after a consultation with the Stable Manager or Director may be required. Should equine first aid training be necessary in any respect, it will be provided.
Qualifications: Previous horse handling, husbandry, and general farm experience is a must. Must be able to work both independently as well as on a team. Experience operating farm machinery is a plus but not required. Some minimal computer knowledge, and general understanding of horse rehabilitation care or the ability to learn both is required. No riding experience or riding is required for this job although lunging knowledge is an added bonus for the hire. We are looking for longevity in the hire so the desired hire will be long term.
Preferred Qualifications: A minimum of 5years experience in a professional equine facility of at least 30 stalls is preferred. Experience with Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, and various breeds involved in jumping and/or dressage is also preferred but not required. Additional preference to candidates that have experience in a school horse/lesson environment. A level headed approach to horsemanship is required.
Physical Demands: Must be able to work on your feet for the tenure of the duty day (8 hours), the ability to lift a 55lb hay bale overhead, must be able to squat and lift a fully loaded 10yard wheel barrow and push it up an incline to be dumped.
Working Conditions: This job requires the hire to work in all types of weather to include snow and rain conditions, varying temperature conditions (occasionally in extremes consistent with current New England weather), uneven terrain as well as non-improved surfaces. Known equestrian hazards of working with large animals in differing environments, temperaments, and tight quarters are part of this job. Sometimes moving quickly, while maintaining balance is necessary.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3 professional references.
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.