Join Worcester County’s leading non-profit farming operation and work within a “growing” organization as they continue to improve operations and increase output. Contribute to our efforts of large scale sustainable farming and volunteer organizing while working with a diverse group of staff and volunteers. Be part of the solution to hunger in Worcester County while managing our beautiful farms in North Grafton, MA.
Our Farm Manager will have general responsibility for operating Brigham Hill and White’s Farms in North Grafton, MA. In 2016 we will operate on approximately 19.5 acres, expansion to additional acreage is possible and highly likely over the next few years. In this role our Farm Manager will be charged with developing short and long term plans as well as overseeing and participating in daily farming operations. This position is part of our leadership team working under the direction of our Operations Director and participating fully in all aspects of operating a non-profit volunteer farming organization. You will have direct hands on engagement in farming and assisting in developing and implementing new programs, systems and ideas in order to continue CHP’s future growth.
Tasks include but not limited to:
- Assisting with maintaining a positive volunteer experience for all who visit the farms
- Planning and executing an annual crop plan which will include season extension in the coming years
- Managing seeding, transplanting, planting, irrigation, weed/pest control, harvest and frost protection plan
- Managing farming operations including planning and organizing workload
- Managing a small seasonal farm staff and working in tandem with a large uniquely unskilled volunteer team
- Working with the Operations Director to coordinate machinery maintenance and repair
- Maintaining supply needs and farming records
- Other tasks and responsibilities as directed by the Operations Director
Requirements, qualified applicants will:
- Have interest and commitment to Community Harvest Project’s overall mission and purpose
- Be an excellent communicator in both written and verbal form with previous experience in leadership roles
- Have at least 3-4 years farming experience with a minimum of 2 years in a leadership position on a farm with knowledge of IPM practices and spray application experience
- Have experience with a variety of tractors and implements and be able to lift equipment or produce weighing up to 50 lbs.
Community Harvest Project (CHP), a 501(c)3 organization, is dedicated to improving access to healthy foods through community engagement. Through their volunteer farming, education, and leadership programs and partnerships, they bring thousands of community members together each year to build an engaged and healthier Worcester County. In 2015, thanks to over 10,000 volunteer visits, CHP grew nearly 1.2 million servings of fresh fruits and vegetables which were primarily donated through partnerships including the Worcester County Food Bank’s hunger relief network, Community Servings, and the Farm to Health Center Initiative. CHP operates at Brigham Hill Community Farm and White’s Farm in North Grafton, MA and at their newest property at Prospect Hill Farm in Harvard, MA. For more information about their programs and impact, please visit www.community-harvest.org.
To apply send letter of interest including previous experience with farming methods, crops and machinery along with your resume via e-mail to Ken Dion, Operations Director, at email@example.com . Compensation package includes paid time off and cell phone reimbursement. Application deadline is January, 15 2016