The Assistant Grower is responsible for assisting the Farm Manager in daily upkeep, management and development of the Urban Farm, located at ReVision Family Home Shelter.
- Plants, tends, and harvests crops, adhering to organic, sustainable farming practices as directed.
- Supervises volunteers and outside groups with support from the Farm Manager.
- Assists in weekly CSA production and delivery.
- Assists in running farm stands and markets and transporting produce to wholesale customers.
- Conduct workshops and other educational opportunities both on site and in the community in concert with the Grower.
- Assists Farm Manager in completing administrative tasks including farm planning and record keeping
- Assists with on-the-job training and supervision of youth employees and job trainees
- Assists in teaching farm curriculum including basic farming techniques and terminology.
- Participates in and is engaged in outreach efforts with the community.
- Works in multidisciplinary team approach with case managers and other social services departments of the shelter to enhance training for individual participants.
You must meet the following requirements for consideration:
- Previous experience and/or course work in agriculture preferred.
- Commitment to addressing food access in urban areas
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Valid Massachusetts drivers license with a driving record point rating of 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 or 03.
- Strong written and verbal skills required.
- Previous experience working with homeless adults, substance abusers, or the mentally ill preferred.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. Job is physically demanding. Must be able to work outside in variable weather conditions.
Monday - Friday: 8am - 2pm (30 hours)
*Evening and weekend hours required on a rotating basis between June and October on Thursdays & Fridays till 7:00pm and Saturdays from 8am – 3pm.
Victory Programs operates 19 innovative programs throughout Greater Boston, Cambridge and Topsfield that provide housing and support services to individuals and families who are homeless and may have substance use disorders, often accompanied by chronic health issues like HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and mental illness.
ReVision Urban Farm, located in Dorchester is an innovative agriculture project that grows fresh produce for distribution to the community through our Farm Stand, Community Supported Agriculture program, local farmers' markets and to residents of the ReVision Family Home.
We have a generous and valued benefit program which includes an 75% employer premium contribution toward health and dental, 100% employer paid disability and life insurances, 24 days of earned time to start, tuition remission, and a retirement savings opportunity. Benefits are pro rated for this 35 hour position.
Apply using this link.