New Lands Farm, a member of Ascentria Care Alliance, works to provide refugee and immigrant farmers with the tools and resources they need to access land and agricultural opportunities in Central and Western Massachusetts. The program provides training and technical assistance to new and experienced growers in producing and selling familiar and ethnic vegetables at local farmers markets, grocery stores, and through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. New Lands Farm empowers new Americans through agriculture projects to honor their food traditions, earn supplemental income, and contribute in a meaningful way to their new community and the local food system.
The New Lands Farm Program Manager is responsible for leadership and oversight of program operations in both Worcester and West Springfield, MA including provision of services at community farms and garden sites, marketing of produce and farmers’ participation. The Program Manger provides supervision and guidance to program staff, financial management, fundraising, contract requirements, and promotion to constituents and the community. This is an administrative position with some opportunity to provide assistance on the farm and garden sites.
- Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of Ascentria, New Lands Farm and grant requirements.
- Oversight of the community farm and garden sites, including maintaining land owner relationships, leases, insurance, maintenance, safety and upkeep.
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the program.
- Conduct annual program evaluation to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas and processes for improvement.
- Oversee the collection and maintenance of program data for statistical purposes.
- Communicate with program participants and other stakeholders to develop support for the program and solicit input to effectively expand the program.
- Attend and participate in Ascentria leadership team and/or committee meetings as required and contribute to planning and development of department training and procedures.
- Recruit, hire, orient, supervise and evaluate program staff in accordance with agency rules and regulations.
- Assures that team delivers service consistent with the goals for the individuals served and that provides opportunities for meaningful activities.
- Maintain a clean, safe organized program environment consistent with regulatory and program guidelines.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Develop and follow an annual budget and operating plan to support the program.
- Write reports on the program for management and for funding compliance.
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures.
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements.
- Responsible for petty cash and following financial procedures.
Fundraising and Grants Development
- Work with Ascentria and program staff to develop proposals that are attractive to new and existing funders and extend program goals.
- Manage the submission and reporting process for grant proposals and budgets.
- Manage portfolio of existing grant relationships and complete “new grant” research.
- Fulfill all grant reporting requirements.
Outreach and Communication
- Representation of Ascentria and New Lands Farm at community events.
- Build relationships with state agencies, community organizations, funders, and key stakeholders.
- Aide in development of content and coordinate production and dissemination of newsletters, social media posts and other communications strategies with staff members.
- Cultivate relationships with media to generate articles, television or radio features/interviews, and other media attention in collaboration with agency PR department.
- Lead tours of program sites and make group presentations, including program staff and participants as appropriate.
- Develop and plan public and fundraising events in collaboration with agency.
- Promote the program in the wider community and maintain relationships with local farming, food and community partners and other technical assistance providers.
- Graduate degree, or bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years program management/supervisory experience.
- Budget and financial management skills to meet income goals and control program costs.
- Farming and/or community development background highly desired.
- Knowledge of state, federal and international policies as they relate to the program.
- Ability to work within the mission of the organization.
- Able to work in a setting that is culturally, economically and ethnically diverse. Ability to speak another language a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including evidence of ability to write reports and grants that result in funding.
- Computers skills including strong grasp of Microsoft Office Suite and social media.
- Prior fundraising and grant writing experience.
- Experience supporting others and fostering independence.
- Commitment to building positive community support.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to provide leadership to work effectively and flexibly in a team environment and to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively delegate, train staff and recognize achievements.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle conflict, stress with diplomacy and tact and to respond effectively to a changing environment.
- Must be well organized, able to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines and attend to detail.
- Able to work outside and in adverse weather conditions if needed. Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to travel and able to use own transportation.
- Must have acceptable driving record check, valid driver’s license, and an acceptable criminal background check.
- Flexible scheduling and some evening/weekend work required.
- Willingness to adapt daily activities to achieve program outcomes as needed.
If interested in applying please forward your resume to MAjobs@ascentria.org
and reference #02161501