8-10 hours/week (up to 20 hours) depending on availability; $21.60/hour
Seasonal Position: Part-Time April-June
(Possibility to continue with Part or Full-Time Summer and Fall employment if interested July-December)
Reports to: Sara Poggi Davis, Food Hub Program Manager
Organizational Description: New Entry Sustainable Farming Project’s (New Entry’s) mission is to improve our local and regional food systems by training the next generation of farmers to produce food that is sustainable, nutritious and culturally appropriate and making this food accessible to individuals regardless of age, mobility, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. In doing this work, New Entry provides critical training, career development, and economic opportunity to new farmers.
Job Summary: The Part-Time Spring Delivery Driver position is responsible for ensuring timely produce deliveries and providing good customer service to our Food Hub customers one day per week in the spring, focusing on deliveries to local schools and food access organizations. The position is a vital part of the New Entry Food Hub team and requires a consistent weekly 8-10 hour commitment one consistent day per week. Day of the week is flexible (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday) depending on availability of applicant. Additional hours (up to 20 hours/week total) farm work available if interested.
*Please note that delivery driving as well as farm and produce packing support are also needed for the Food Hub in the Summer and Fall so there is potential for interested applicants to extend/expand this employment.
Essential Job Functions:
Delivery Driver: The Delivery Driver role will take care of produce deliveries for New Entry Food Hub, a local food aggregation facility in Beverly, MA, by transporting produce from the Food Hub to wholesale customers (schools and food access organizations) in the North Shore and Medford, MA. Responsibilities include loading and driving a transit van or box truck to deliver to a variety of wholesale accounts providing fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables to customers around the Boston area. Driving shifts will be 8-10 hours per day on one consistent day per week. Driving duties include:
• Deliver wholesale produce orders to locations in the Northshore and Medford area on time and during scheduled pickup windows;
• Pick up produce from area farms
• Organize produce for wholesale deliveries;
• Clean and sanitize Food Hub packing areas and delivery vehicle to ensure food safety;
• Provide friendly customer service;
• Work with customers to trouble shoot delivery or pickup concerns and communicate issues back to Food Hub Program Manager;
• Monitor operational and maintenance needs of delivery vehicle (gas, oil, windshield-wiper fluid) and report issues to Food Hub Program Manager;
• Perform other Food Hub-related duties as needed.
Food Hub Site and Vehicle Maintenace: When not delivering produce, the position will support New Entry’s Food Hub as needed by cleaning the Food Hub (coolers, packing surfaces, etc.) and cleaning the delivery vehicle.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
• Clean Driving Record
• Ability to safely drive a Transit Van and Box Truck (no special license required) in urban settings (narrow streets, tight loading docks, and alleyways)
• Delivery experience loading and unloading boxes
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and move hand trucks with stacked boxes repeatedly in and out of vehicles, trucks, and buildings
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Friendly, reliable, high energy level, comfortable with multi-tasking
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities; tactful, respectful, flexible
• Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment
• Self-motivated and directed
• Access to reliable private transportation to reach New Entry in Beverly, MA required
• Experience driving a 14 ft. box truck
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Customer service experience
• Experience driving a larger vehicle in an urban setting
• Experience handling produce and food safety training
• Fork-Lift experience
To Apply for this open position, please send a brief letter of inquiry including a summary of your experience, availability to meet the qualifications and a resume. Email to: Sara Poggi Davis, Food Hub Program Manager, email@example.com. Candidates will be required to complete a background check and demonstrate a clean driving record.