Moose Hill’s Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program provides fresh, organic produce to nearly 400 families weekly. Learn about organic farming at a wildlife sanctuary that has a unique partnership with a neighboring farm. Farm Apprentice responsibilities include tending, harvesting, boxing, loading vegetables, hand weeding, and hand cultivation. In addition, Farm Apprentices manage early evening distribution of the harvest to the shareholders. This includes organizing the display and information boards, overseeing the pick-your-own activities, answering questions about produce, and connecting with the shareholders (individuals and families). Contributing stories for the Moose Hill weekly blog in regards to the CSA is a vital link in helping to build the CSA community and increasing the communication between the farm and the shareholders. Farm Apprentices will be learning about and helping with weed and pest control on an organic farm. They will help organize and lead other seasonal staff, shareholders, and volunteers in harvesting and weeding activities throughout the week, manage the shareholders fulfilling their work hours, and will help with general farm maintenance as needed. This position is pertinent to those looking to gain experience towards being a farmer.
- An articulate person interested in hands-on training in organic farming
- Previous farm work preferred, but passion for agriculture and hard work a must
- Candidate must be a driven and responsible self-starter, who works effectively both independently and as a team player
- Ability to lead coworkers, shareholders, and volunteers
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced environment, and in all weather condition while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to lift and haul up to 50 lbs
- Ability to bend and kneel repeatedly during harvesting and weeding activities in all weather conditions;
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion;
- Successful candidate will need to pass a background records check (CORI, SORI, and driver’s).
- Have a valid driver's license.
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: $11.00 - $11.50/hr. Shared housing is available $35.00/week.
Apprentices work mid-May through the mid-October. Vegetables produced on the farm are part of apprentice compensation. Hours vary from 25-50 per week, progressing with the season. One apprentice position will have the opportunity to begin in March at 20 hours per week to learn and assist with the maple sugaring season and then to lead early weeding parties on the farm in mid- to late- April.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Mathew Noiseux - Property and CSA Manager