Full-time, Hourly, Seasonal. Must be able to work Sundays.
Start Date: Full time start date May 2nd, potential for part time work starting April 1st Job Posting Close Date: March 9th
Mill City Grows (MCG) is growing a healthier community in Lowell, Massachusetts by creating new opportunities for residents to access healthy, locally grown, affordable foods. Our mission is to foster food justice in Lowell by improving physical health, economic independence and environmental sustainability through increased access to land, locally grown food, and education.
Our Mobile Market Team is seeking a motivated well-organized Mobile Market Apprentice, who will work within the Mobile Market Program. The Mobile Market Apprentice should be committed to the values of our work and mission. The apprentice will devote most of their time to selling our fresh produce at our 11 mobile market stops, the remainder of their time will be spent ensuring the success of our Mobile Market Program through outreach, product procurement, inventory management, record keeping and assisting on the farm as necessary. The Market Apprentice is expected to operate at least five markets per week including our Sunday market. We seek a hard-working candidate that is flexible, good at thinking on their feet, and has experience in customer service.
About the Mobile Market:
Mill City Grows’ Mobile Market is a farm stand on wheels bringing fresh, local produce from our Urban Farm to the diverse neighborhoods of Lowell. We also attend the seasonal Lowell Farmers Market on Friday afternoons and several other indoor markets year-round. MCG has two Mobile Markets that include a truck and trailer, scheduled to stop at 11 locations per week from June-October in Lowell.
The focus of our markets is to increase low-income residents’ access to high quality, affordable, culturally appropriate produce. Our Mobile Market accepts all forms of payment including SNAP/EBT as well as WIC, and Senior Farmers Market Coupons, cash, and credit/debit cards. Additionally, MCG offers a “Market Bucks” program that matches Senior and WIC Farmers Market Coupons redemptions up to 50% and we accept the new statewide H.I.P (Healthy Incentives Program), sponsored by the Department of Transitional Assistance; which gives SNAP participants between $40 and $80 a month based on household size to spend at local farmers markets, mobile markets, farm stands, and CSAs. The Mobile Markets priorities include increasing outreach, visibility, community building and food distribution.
Mobile Market Apprentice Responsibilities:
● Staff Mill City Grows’ Mobile Markets at stops throughout Lowell.
● Drive Mill City Grows’ Mobile Market (truck and trailer) to scheduled stops and set up Mobile Markets.
● Maintain accurate records of all transactions through POS system, proper use of payment systems and
reimbursements (i.e. SNAP, WIC, Senior Coupons, gift cards)
● Communicate respectfully and transparently with customers, relaying customer concerns to Farm and
Market team through a variety of mediums i.e phone, email, text.
● Assist in Mobile Market outreach, promote Mill City Grows’ produce and relay product information to customers, in addition to promoting Mill City Grows’ events and trainings.
● Ensure all products are of the highest quality and maintaining optimum freshness by upholding inventory control processes, and reporting any concerns with products.
● Pick-up bought-in items at local farms and value-added suppliers to sell at market.
● Make wholesale produce deliveries to community partners and food pantries around Lowell.
● Keep cooler and packing room clean and organized.
● Uphold the highest standards of cleanliness and sanitation for Mobile Market infrastructure, staff
appearance, and storage facilities.
● Work with community organizations, volunteers, and educational groups that come to market.
● Open to assist in other areas as needed i.e. working at the Urban Farm, assisting with events, etc.
● Oversee interns, volunteers, or youth program participants at Mobile Market stops.
● Ability to interface with a diverse customer base, including with low-income individuals, providing exceptional customer service.
● High levels of organization, good communication skills, time management, and a strong work ethic.
● Willing to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and to problem solve and deal with challenges as they
● Ability to work well alone and as part of a team.
● Must be able to work Sundays.
● Eager to work hard in all kinds of weather (cold, heat, rain, snow, wind).
● Understanding of and/or willingness to learn about the various federal nutrition benefits.
● Experience in operating a vehicle and trailer combination and/or willingness to learn.
● Ability to commit to the full market season (May-November) without conflicting commitments.
● Aptitude for physically demanding, fast-paced work, and ability to safely lift 50 pounds repeatedly.
● Clean CORI/SORI, safe driving record, personal transportation, and valid license.
● Second language (Khmer, Portuguese, Spanish, Burmese, Hindi, Vietnamese) a plus.
● Knowledge about a wide variety of vegetables, interest in sustainable farming practices.
● Retail, customer service and/or food industry experience.
● Experience working in Lowell or similar urban setting.
● ServSafe Certification a plus.
● Trainings and potential for professional development.
● Opportunity to be a part of Lowell’s premier food justice organization.
● Learn and earn with lots of high quality produce!
Mill City Grows is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender expression/identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non- merit factor.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.