Hours: 7 hours/per week, Saturdays May 12, 2018 - November 17, 2018 (28 weeks)
Union Square Farmers Market (USFM) plays an integral role in the Union Square community. It serves as a
catalyst for vibrancy, community, and economic activity in Union Square. The Market provides visitors
with top-quality, fresh produce; encourages values of healthy eating and active lifestyles; educates the
consumer about farming and locally-produced foods and provides customers with the opportunity to
directly interact with farmers.
For the 2018 market season, Union Square Main Streets (USMS) seeks an enthusiastic candidate to fill the
Market Assistant position. Primary support will take place during the Market, which is open every Saturday
from May 12 through November 17 at Union Square Plaza in Somerville, MA.
In this exciting position, the Market Assistant will have the opportunity to enhance his/her skills in event
planning, market management, marketing, communication, and knowledge of programs aimed at
increasing access to local foods. The Market Assistant will also have the opportunity to interact with over
forty (40) vendors and be part of one of the most successful markets in the state, with over 3,000 visitors
at the height of the season.
Candidates must be available during the hours of the Market: Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. The
Farmers Market is open rain or shine. Candidates will be expected to assist the market with set-up and
break-down, which includes lifting chairs, tables, and tents. Set-up will begin at 7:00 a.m. and all vendors
will be required to leave the premise by 2:00 p.m.
Responsibilities will include:
● Manage social media networks, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, to promote the
● Analysis of market sales and headcount;
● Assist Market Manager in daily market operations;
● Administer local token currency for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits;
● Provide vendor assistance during set-up and break-down;
● Additional administrative and sales tasks
Other essential skills include:
● Friendly, dynamic and positive energy
● Dependable, punctual and responsible
● Resourceful and creative, with strong problem-solving skills
● Enjoy interacting with the public and the ability to talk with a wide range of people
● Delight in meeting new people and fostering connections with the community
● Willingness to learn new information through hands-on experience
● Organized management of time and effort and ability to document work
● Ability to lift items up to 30 lbs
Compensation will be paid bi-weekly. This is an hourly position supervised by the Market Manager and
approved by the Board of Directors and Executive Director.
USMS is an established non-profit that works collaboratively with local businesses, the community and
the city to actively support a vibrant neighborhood by preserving the character and advancing the
economic strength of Union Square in Somerville.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter explaining why you would like to work with Union Square Main Streets
at the Union Square Farmers Market to Tiffany Leung at email@example.com with subject line
“Market Assistant Position.” For best consideration, please apply Friday, April 6, 2018