MA Food System Collaborative
Position: Communications Specialist
Reports to: Director
Hours: 20 weekly
Term: 1 year, with potential for continuation depending upon funding availability.
Wage: $20/hour, (IRS-1099, no benefits)
Term: One year with possibility of extension depending upon grant funding.
Start date: ASAP
About the MA Food System Collaborative:
The MA Food System Collaborative was established in 2016 to promote, monitor, and facilitate implementation of the MA Local Food Action Plan. The Plan is a comprehensive set of recommendations toward a sustainable, equitable food system for the Commonwealth. The Collaborative works to encourage progress toward the goals of the Plan through education, networking, and advocacy. Learn more about the Collaborative at www.mafoodsystem.org.
The Communications Specialist will work with the Director to plan and execute a communications strategy that amplifies the work of the Collaborative and its allies, encourages broad engagement in projects the Collaborative supports, and educates the general public about the value of a sustainable, equitable food system. This is a new position, and is critical to the success of the Collaborative.
· Help develop and refine organization’s messaging.
· Develop, manage, and edit e-newsletter.
· Maintain and promote social media accounts.
· Maintain website.
· Support Collaborative’s projects with earned media strategies, where appropriate.
· Coordinate and support regional and statewide meetings and events.
· Attend regular project and governance meetings, in person and on the phone.
· Other editorial duties, as needed.
· Minimum of 3 years professional public communications work, or substantial experience in policy, advocacy, or organizing setting with some communications expertise
· Ability to distill complex issues into accessible language that prompts action.
· Ability to write clearly, concisely, and quickly.
· Experience working with reporters.
· Flexible schedule (occasional evening meetings may be required).
· Ability to travel throughout state, as needed. (Travel costs reimbursed.)
· Interest in food, agriculture, and systemic change.
· Proficiency in Microsoft office and social media platforms.
· Knowledge of MA food system a plus.
· Experience/comfort with CMS systems a plus.
· Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
· Must have excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor.
Send cover letter, resume, and 2-3 writing samples (links OK) to Winton Pitcoff, Director: email@example.com.
Applications accepted until April 7, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.