Interested in urban agriculture, youth development, environmentalism, and community engagement initiatives? Groundwork Lawrence is now seeking applications for it's summer program! Deadline is March 22!
Green Team Youth Leader Positions (Full-time, Seasonal)
Who We Are
Groundwork Lawrence's (GWL) mission and operations are premised on the understanding that environmental conditions are inextricably linked to the economic and social health of a neighborhood. As a consequence, GWL is committed to “changing places and changing lives” through on-the-ground projects that help to transform local communities.
What You Will Do
Groundwork Lawrence (GWL) is seeking individuals with experience in youth development to be responsible for the daily management and supervision of our Green Team Summer 2017 program crews. The Green Team Summer program is a 7-week part-time job and leadership opportunity for 30 high school students in Lawrence to be an integral part of urban agriculture, environmentalism, stewardship, and community engagement initiatives. Two Team Leaders are paired with a group of ten Green Team members to concentrate on one of the focus areas described below.
So Fresh: urban farm and food initiatives
So Green: trail maintenance and invasive species removal at local and external parks
So Green: trail maintenance and invasive species removal at Ferrous Park and along the Spicket River
Along with the primary focus, each crew will spend time working in parks, on the farm, and teaching local youth. Each crew will also have the opportunity to attend at least one outdoor adventure. For more information about Green Team please visit: www.groundworklawrence.org/greenteam
· Manage Green Team members under the supervision of the Education Program Coordinator:
· Provide feedback of behavior and work performance
· Provide youth leadership and mentoring
· Facilitate and lead training of crew members
· Maintain a safe work environment
· Convey important logistical information (daily meeting times and locations) and manage crew time sheets
· Transport members as needed in GWL van
· Take part in a 2 week-long paid training to learn about GWL, tool safety, youth leadership and facilitation, curriculum development, first aid/CPR certification and become familiar with summer schedule
· Organize and manage logistics for field trips, guest speakers, and activities with other organizations/youth groups
· Integrate Green Team’s programming with GWL’s projects, as well as other aspects of our work
· Other duties as assigned
· Hours: Monday-Friday with some nights, weekends and overnight trips
Team Leaders also receive weekly feedback from the Education Program Coordinator, as well as informal daily guidance from an assigned staff member and fellow Team Leaders.
What We Seek
We hold high expectations for our youth, and in order to reach their full potential we require our Team Leaders to be strong role models. Ideal candidates will possess enthusiasm for working with youth, a commitment to Groundwork Lawrence’s mission, a strong work ethic, and a desire to work hard outdoors.
While our organization is deeply committed to urban agriculture and the environment, we do not require Team Leader candidates to be well-versed in these fields. We seek candidates who are open to learning and engaging with the Groundwork Lawrence mission.
· Experience in leadership and youth development
· Desire to do hard work in the outdoors
· Strong communication skills
· Basic computer skills: Word, Excel and desktop publishing
· Strong organizational skills and ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines
· Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
· Minimum of 21 years of age, US citizen or permanent resident status
· Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends will be required)
· Bilingual skills (Spanish/English) are a plus
· Experience or desire to work in multicultural settings
· A CORI and SORI background check and driver's license is required, as is a safe driving record
· Current CPR & First Aid certification (training provided as needed prior to start date)
Compensation: $12.00 - $14.00 p/hr (dependent upon experience and funding)
Employment Dates: Approximately June 12, 2017– August 18, 2017; 30-40 hrs/wk
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating which crew you would prefer to work with and why by March 22, 2017 to:
50 Island St, Entrance B, Suite 101, Lawrence MA 01840
Hiring Policy: Groundwork Lawrence is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation/identification, or any legally protected status. City of Lawrence residents are strongly encouraged to apply.