Groundwork Lawrence (GWL) is seeking a Green Team Grower to develop and maintain our half acre farm in South Lawrence. In addition to farming, the Grower is responsible for supervising and creating youth development opportunities for our Green Team members. Green Team is an 8 week, part-time, summer employment program for 30 high school students from Lawrence, MA. The Green Team program allows for youth to be a part of various environmental improvements, stewardship projects, urban agriculture, healthy living initiatives, and community engagement opportunities.
• Manage daily garden operations.
• Maintain proper planting and harvest dates for farm and high tunnel.
• Manage harvests for weekly Farmers Market sales and donations at local food kitchens.
• Maintain production, tool and sales logs.
• Develop and manage tasks for youth in the garden. Ensure that tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner.
• Train youth proper handling and technique for farm equipment.
• Lead workshops on growing food, nutrition, and healthy living.
• Collaborate with Green Team Leaders and the Education Coordinator to ensure the delivery of a high quality employment program.
• Transport up to 10 youth in a company van.
• Maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Experience in diversified vegetable production.
• Experience working with youth.
• Able to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Strong Communication Skills.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and work in all weather conditions.
• Experience with season extension and indeterminate tomato cultivation.
• Experience in agricultural education.
• Experience working in Lawrence or another urban, low-income community.
• Spanish speaking skills.
Employment Dates: June-August 2015; 35-40 hrs/wk. Potential for additional part-time work in the Spring or Fall (dependent upon funding).
Compensation: $4,000 - $4,500 stipend (dependent upon funding)
Please check out www.groundworklawrence.org/greenteam for more information about our organization.
E-mail resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2015
Hiring Policy: Groundwork Lawrence is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any legally protected status. City of Lawrence residents are strongly encouraged to apply.