Boston Area Gleaners is hiring for our Gleaning Coordinator (equivalent responsibility to an Assistant Grower) and Gleaning Assistant (equivalent responsibility to Field Crew) positions for the 2018 season. Both positions are full time and from July - early January, and are based from our office in Waltham, MA.
• organizing and executing gleaning trips on 80+ farms in eastern Massachusetts
• managing and directing volunteers in harvesting, sorting, and packing produce
• distributing produce to our partner recipient agencies via deliveries and pickups at our facilities
• collecting and recording relevant program data
• assisting with inventory management
• assisting with program development as needed
Qualified candidates will have:
• All candidates must be able to repeatedly lift 70+ pounds in various conditions. This position is physically demanding and requires an aptitude for manual labor.
• One full season of vegetable production experience (required for Coordinator position)
• Exhaustive knowledge of local fruit and vegetable varieties and food handling experience
• A minimum of 6 years driving experience, valid US drivers license, and capable of passing DOT physical; experience driving trucks in urban and rural environments is a plus
• Experience with lift equipment (pallet jacks, forklifts, etc.) is a plus
• Experience in supervising groups and/or managing volunteers and/or teaching (required for Coordinator position)
• Customer service or similar experience
• Experience leading others and motivating them towards a common goal is preferred (required for Coordinator position)
• Detail-oriented with excellent record keeping and planning skills
• Bachelor’s degree (preferred for Coordinator position; not required for Assistant position)
• Reliable transportation to Waltham office location
• Ability to work weekend days on a regular basis. Gleaning Coordinator proposed schedule is Sunday-Wednesday; Gleaning Assistant proposed schedule is Friday-Monday.
• Ability to fully commit to a seasonal job (both positions begin in early July and end in January)
Full time is preferred, but part time work may be available for the right candidate; full time work will include some work weeks with over 50+ hours in our busy season (August-November). Any hours worked over 40 within 1 workweek qualify for overtime pay.
Pay Range and Benefits: $14/hr - $18/hr depending on experience with overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in one work week; 4 paid holidays; issued company cell phone for all work related tasks; work clothing/gear stipend: $150.00 reimbursement; access to surplus produce (up to ½ bushel per week; professional development opportunities including several trainings and certifications.
If you are interested in applying to work with us, please visit our website to learn more about these positions and application instructions: http://www.bostonareagleaners.org/job-opportunities.html.