The Farm at Moose Hill is a Mass Audubon Wildlife Sanctuary that provides organic produce to more than 200 families through our CSA program, local hunger relief organizations, an on-site farm stand and farmer’s markets.
The farm is 17 acres, certified organic, and located in Sharon, Massachusetts – about 25 miles from both Boston and Providence. We work with our neighbors at Ward's Berry Farm to plant our crops and cultivate the fields. Moose Hill is the oldest Mass Audubon Sanctuary and is committed to farming with the health of our adjacent woods, meadows, ponds, and vernal pools in mind. The health and happiness of our farmers is very important, too.
We are looking for hard-working individuals with an interest in local food systems and sustainable agriculture to join our team for the 2022 season! Alongside the farm manager, the field crew will share responsibilities to successfully maintain, harvest, and distribute beautiful produce to our customers. This is a seasonal position from May 16, 2022 through October 28, 2022.
- Weed, irrigate, plant, harvest, and distribute organically grown vegetables
- Ensure beautiful, high quality produce
Shared, rotating responsibilities, may include:
- Assist with CSA setup
- Lead the wash area 1 day per week
- Set up an on-site farm stand
- Maintain electric fences
- Keep records and track donations
- Deliver produce to our sister sanctuaries, as needed
- General cleaning of the barn, tools, wash area, etc.
We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background.
- Optimism and positivity, a desire to work efficiently, attention to detail, an ability to make quick decisions, and a desire to be a part of a team
- Willingness to learn and an ability to work with a diverse range of people
- Must be flexible: our day may not end at the exact same time everyday depending on what we’re doing, but we will always communicate beforehand if a late day is expected
- Must be able to lift 30-50 pounds repeatedly
- Must be comfortable with physical labor in all weather conditions (heat, rain, cold, etc.)
- Must be able to maintain high-quality standards
- Must pass a background records check (CORI and SORI) and a driver’s license check, as required for all Mass Audubon employees
Compensation & Benefits
$14.25/hour plus vegetables, flowers, and fruit from the farm
Tuesday – Saturday, 7am to 4:30pm with an hour unpaid lunch. Start times and end times may be adjusted to accommodate weather and harvest conditions. Hours may vary throughout the season, but we will not exceed 45 hours during peak season. There will be open communication and clear expectations around start times and end times. Mornings will usually be focused on harvesting and afternoons on weeding/general farm upkeep. Some unpaid time off (6-10 days) during the growing season is possible, but must be approved in advance. Proof of vaccination will be requested upon hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: Jill Banach, Farm Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org