Land's Sake in Weston, MA is hiring a new Farm Stand Manager! Job description below, and please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
Farm Stand Manager
Land's Sake is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Farm Stand Manager to join our team for the 2015 season. This position represents a unique opportunity for the right person to impact public participation in local food systems.
About the Position
The Farm Stand Manager is responsible for the efficient and profitable management of the Farm Stand, Land's Sake's principal point of contact for farm supporters, educational program participants, and residents. Because the Land's Sake farm stand also serves as an important point of contact with many people, this position is responsible for maintaining a positive image of Land's Sake by using the farm stand to educate the public about the wide range of program offerings, as well as our history, mission, and values. For the person who is interested in a retail experience that is broader than simply sales, this is an exciting opportunity. The position is full time and seasonal, beginning in May as a part-time position and becoming full-time in June through the end of the stand season at the end of October. The season ends with the pre-Thanksgiving Sale in November. Opportunities for year-round project work are possible.
- Manage the staff and daily operations of the Land's Sake farm stand, including staff training, scheduling, and customer service. *Oversee all farmstand operations, including managing vendor relationships, coordinating produce and inventory, cash management, and regular communication with Farm Manager, Executive Director, and accounting staff.
- Provide accurate and timely data on sales, costs, inventory, and other related income and expense, and manage payroll and operations on budget. Track appropriate data to understand sales trends and progress.
- Develop innovative, effective, and low-cost marketing approaches to increase overall sales, move specific products, even out weather and day-of-week effects, and increase customer retention.
- Provide welcoming, authoritative, and enthusiastic representation of the full range of Land's Sake programs, events, and farm offerings. Actively promote and "sell" membership in Land's Sake.
- Attend staff meetings, and perform other related duties as needed to support the stand operations or other Land's Sake events.
A combination of education and experience that provides the skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position is required for this position. A Bachelor or Associate degree in management, marketing, public relations, education or related field is preferred. Demonstrable previous work experience with fresh produce in a farm stand or similar retail operation is recommended.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors (office environment and at the Farm Stand) in all weather conditions. Limited travel regionally may be required for meetings or to pick up inventory. Candidate should have a clean driving record, and must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 50 pounds repeatedly.
The skills, knowledge and abilities for this position include:
- Strong communication skills including the ability to provide excellent customer service, tactfully address customer complaints; and train, manage, and motivate employees.
- Retail experience in farm stand or other context, including familiarity with inventory control and management, handling and merchandising fresh produce, point-of-sale equipment, and operations.
- Knowledge of overall farm and business operations and the ability to assess future farm stand needs.
- Knowledge and experience in effective marketing and public relations.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to use computer spreadsheets, word processing systems and electronic communications.
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, absolute integrity, and sense of fun required!
We welcome people with a broad range of applicable experience to apply for this position. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and references to: email@example.com or mail to: Farm Stand Manager, Land's Sake,
27 Crescent Street, Weston, MA 02493. This position will be open until filled.