Farm Production Manager | Fishkill Farms, East Fishkill, NY
About the Farm:
Fishkill Farms is a 270 acre fruit and vegetable farm in East Fishkill, NY. Vegetables, berries and half the farm’s apples are NOFA-NY certified organic, and the remaining orchard fruit is Eco Apple certified. Produce is marketed through our year-round Farm Store and seasonal Pick-Your-Own operation, a 400-member CSA, five farmer’s markets and some wholesale. Starting with peas and strawberries and culminating with apples and pumpkins in the Fall, the farm provides family friendly outdoor pick-your-own fun for the local community. At peak we host thousands of visitors a day.
About the Position:
The Production Manager oversees all aspects of growing, harvest and storage for 100+ varieties of vegetables and fruits produced for our multiple outlets, through 4 seasons of the year. Working closely with the Vegetable Manager and Orchard Manager, and production crews, the Production Manager is responsible for the successful growing, harvest, storage and packing of all of the farm’s crops. This is a dynamic position for an experienced farmer who is enthusiastic about growing our production and fruit and vegetable operations with us.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinating harvest and packing of fruits and vegetables to fill orders for our multiple outlets.
- Supervises product flow from harvest, storage, inventory management, packing and distribution.
- Hands-on management and support of our production management team; supervising crop planning, planting, primary tillage, irrigation, orchard training, pruning and pest management.
- Supervising crews numbering 20-30 including hiring, training and scheduling.
- Equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Coordinating farmer’s market staff and distribution logistics.
- Maintaining detailed production, planting, pest management, harvest, packing and distribution records.
Proficiencies and Qualifications:
- At least 5 years production farming on a similar sized operation or larger, with at least two years experience managing large teams.
- Expertise in all aspects of organic vegetable production at a commercial scale. Strong preference for candidates with additional in-depth knowledge of commercial fruit production.
- Proficiency with agricultural equipment including tractors and implements.
- Experience with CSA model, Farmers Markets and direct to business wholesale.
- High level of organization; excellent communication skills. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with management and staff.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Google Docs and other planning and recordkeeping software.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
This is a year-round, full-time position on our farm; with hours varying with the seasons. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and potential for on or off farm housing. Benefits include paid time off and perks. For more information please visit www.fishkillfarms.com.
Send a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Manager 2017” in the subject line.