HEIFER INTERNATIONAL is a nonprofit humanitarian organization working to end hunger and poverty while caring for the Earth. There are open residential volunteer positions at Heifer Farm in Rutland, Massachusetts that helps rural communities lift themselves out of poverty through farming. At this 270-acre educational farm, visitors take part in hands-on, interactive programs and activities promoting sustainable solutions to global hunger, poverty and environmental degradation. VOLUNTEERING WITH HEIFER CHANGES LIVES – INCLUDING YOURS!
2017 VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
• GLOBAL EDUCATORS lead tours, education activities & programs with mostly youth participants; Assist with daily livestock chores and periodically in the Visitor Center.
• FARMER CHEF EDUCATORS assist part-time with meal preparation for program participants and part-time with gardening or livestock; Periodically lead education programs.
• FARM HAND EDUCATORS assist in all farm work associated with livestock care, maintenance, construction, and janitorial; Periodically lead education programs.
• GARDEN EDUCATORS assist with all aspects of gardening & crop production; Assist facilitating large groups of garden workers, mostly youth; Periodically lead education programs.
2018 VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
• FARM EDUCATORS facilitate both year-round field trip & overnight programs and unique education programs such as Day Camp and Women’s Lambing; Assist with grounds-keeping, facility maintenance, housekeeping, and daily livestock feeding chores.
• HOSPITALITY COORDINATORS plan & prepare farm-to-table meals; Serve as gift shop & café coordinator and receptionist; Assist with lodging and event coordination; As needed facilitate field trip programs.
• On-site, communal housing provided
• Stipend of ~$400 / month
• Gain knowledge and skills in education program facilitation, farming, cooking, and international development
• Access to farm vehicles for local transportation
• Seasonal farm veggies, as available
• Access to free health insurance through MassHealth for US Citizens
• Heifer Gift Shop discount
• Fall: August 23 – December 15, 2017
• One Year: Mid-August thru Mid-August
• Summer & Fall: Mid-May thru October
Email your resume and cover letter including your dates of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org