We are seeking a Seasonal Farm Assistant who is a reliable, hard working and
passionate about farming, community engagement, and stewardship of the land.
Codman Community Farms is a working farm in the heart of Lincoln, located
adjacent to the commuter rail (Fitchburg line). We steward over 120 acres of
land within the town of Lincoln and have a 18 acre home-farm which includes
many barns, outbuildings, organically managed (not certified) vegetable and
fruit fields and pastures. Codman is growing its sustainable farming programs
and seeks an individual interested in learning and growing with the farm. We
are primarily a community and livestock farm with a growing vegetable and
fruit component. Work on the farm includes all aspects of raising and caring
for our pasture-based livestock, maintaining our pastures and fields, as well
as tending our market garden and fruit orchard.
For 2018 season we will be managing over 120 acres and approximately:
* 5000 pasture-raised meat chickens
* 1300 pasture-raised laying hens
* 100 pasture-raised and forage fed pigs
* 30+ head of 100% grass-fed cattle
* 250 pasture-raised turkeys
* Maybe other critters like goats, ducks, or lambs
Daily farm work includes:
* Participate in daily chores including caring for all livestock including
feeding, watering, observing and moving animals through pastures.
* Collecting and washing/packing eggs
* Moving, caring and feeding of meat birds/broilers on pasture
* Planting, weeding and harvesting vegetables and fruits.
* Using gas powered machines to mow, whack, cut and otherwise adequately
maintain growing vegetation on the farm.
* Assist in moving and maintaining fences
* Stocking and replenishing products in the farm store
* Interacting with volunteers and the public
Skills and Qualifications:
* 1+ years experience in livestock or vegetable farming
* Passion for working with and caring for farm animals
* Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
* Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions and communicate
issues to management
* Excellent verbal communication skills and a good sense of humor
* Creative problem solving skills
* An appreciation of the roles speed and efficiency play in creating an
economically viable farm
* Ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly is required
* Ability to operate power tools and mechanical equipment safely
* Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
Tractor experience a plus
* General carpentry and handiness a plus
* Valid drivers license with clean driving record
* Must pass a CORI background check
* Dedication, reliability, and a great work ethic
This is a seasonal full-time position from April - early November. 5 days per
week. Workers compensation and some food from farm provided. Hourly pay.
Housing is not available.