Langwater is a 100 acre, Certified Organic farm with 50 acres in vegetable production. We provide year-round, high-quality vegetables, herbs, flowers and fruit to Boston, Providence and our surrounding communities. Our markets include a 350-member CSA, farm stand, restaurants, wholesale, and 5 weekly farmers markets. In our seventh season, we’re a hard-working team that values efficient farm systems. We enjoy friendly competition and have been known to keep a stopwatch in the field while harvesting kale. You won’t be disappointed by our work ethic!
Experienced Field Crew Members participate in a wide range of fieldwork in annual vegetable production including transplanting, harvesting, hoeing, hand weeding and mulching. Additionally, there are opportunities to specialize based on an individual’s strengths and interests. These focus areas include Harvest Leader, Weeding Crew Leader, Wash/Pack and Farmers Markets. In each of these focus areas, an Experienced Crew Member would work alongside and be trained by Farm Mangers before leading small crews, packing wholesale orders or taking the lead at a weekly farmers market.
Experienced Field Crew Members gain…
- Understanding of efficient systems for harvesting, washing and packing produce
- Knowledge of the cultural techniques we employ to produce high quality organic produce
- Insight into how management decisions are made on a sustainable, organic farm
- Opportunity to participate in weekly discussions of UMASS Extension’s Veg Notes
- 1-2 years experience in vegetable production
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain good spirits and morale in all weather
- Drivers license and reliable transportation
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Must be able to work at least one weekend day
This is a full-time, full-season position with the potential for year-round work for the right candidate. Our daily schedule is seasonally variable with a start-time beginning at 8:00 am and moving to 6:00 am by the height of the season. Field Crew Members join us in early May and work full-time (40-60 hours/week) through Thanksgiving. Field Crew Members work 5-6 days per week, with one weekend day required. Thanksgiving through the end of the year, will be part-time (20-30 hours/week). Part-time, off-season work (January-April) is available for the right candidate. Off-season work includes harvesting greens, packing wholesale orders and staffing winter markets.
We offer a $10 - $12/hour starting wage based on experience. Additionally, all employees enjoy farm produce and a 20% discount in the Langwater Farm Stand.
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume and 2 relevant references to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.