2017 Medway Community Farm Assistant Manager Job Description
Medway Community Farm Inc, is a non-profit farm on town-land in Medway, Massachusetts with 6 acres in vegetable production spread over three close range sites. MCF uses non-certified organic methods, to manage a diverse vegetable operation that produces food for a mid sized Spring (110), Summer
(250) and Fall (120) CSA, an on-site farm stand, one local farmer’s market and restaurant, and local food pantry donation. We offer a variety of education programs, community events and volunteer opportunities for the public.
Medway Community Farm, Inc, seeks a motivated farmer with a minimum of 3-4 seasons experience to assist in all aspects of farm management. The right candidate will be able to work closely with the Farm Manager, Assistant Growers and Summer Crew to meet the goals of the 2017 farm plan. Medway Community Farm was built on the idea that a non-profit farm can operate profitably, allowing funds raised to be dedicated to the education and community building portions of our mission. The right candidate will be dedicated to production efficiency and product quality, while maintaining a positive and inclusive work environment. There is opportunity for growth and increased responsibility within the organization.
• Work collaboratively with the Farm Manager in all aspects of vegetable
production and fieldwork, including greenhouse management, soil and field prep, tillage and cultivation, harvest, and distribution.
• Support the Farm Manager in crew management, including: training new
crew members, acting as a crew leader during field work projects, giving direction, and orchestration of the daily work flow.
• Assist the Farm Manager in organizing and running the CSA harvest 2-
• Facilitate participation at our small local farmer’s market each
• Weekly planning
• Working with the farm manager to maintain healthy production in the
propagation and field houses, including the management of our small annual seedling sale.
• Work with the farm manager to plan and maintain the ¼ acre no-till
pick-your-own garden (in its fourth season!).
• Shared Animal Chores, we have three goats some chickens and rabbits
(for education, not production)
• Manage volunteer requests on the ‘Sign Up Genius’ site and track
• Work with the farm manager to deploy volunteers into our system where
appropriate. We have occasional corporate groups, volunteer hours from some CSA members, and high school students and the general public
• General troubleshooting with farm manager regarding irrigation,
diseases or crop failure (never happens), machinery malfunction, etc.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
• 3-4 Seasons farm experience.
• A good sense of humor matched only by a good work ethic
• Greenhouse management skills (think seedling sale)
• The ability to operate farm machinery safely
• The hulkish ability to repeatedly and relentlessly lift 50 lb or more.
• A passion for collaboration and learning
• Problem solving skills (the truck is broken down and we need to get to
market… what do you do?)
• A valid driver’s license.
• Good social skills, you’ll be interacting with the public regularly,
members, farm stand customers, volunteers, and other visitors to the farm.
• Good attention to detail (think tight bunches and clean vegetables)
• Ability and readiness to take on farm management responsibilities
while the Farm Manager is off site.
• A year or more of tractor operation experience
• Greenhouse Management Experience and Interest (this can include
propagation and field houses)
This is a full-time seasonal position, (starting February 1st and ending December 31st) estimated at 30+ hours a week from February to March, 40-50 hours a week from April to September, down to 40 hours for the remainder of the year. The workday begins at 8am during the slower season and 7am when we’re in the thick of it. The work week is Monday through Friday, and the farm manager/assistant manager/assistant growers will split weekend responsibilities.
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
• Lots of produce, blueberries from one of our landlords, eggs from the
• One week’s paid vacation
Note: housing is not available at this time, but we are happy to work with prospective candidates to help secure housing.
The right candidate should be excited about working with community members of all backgrounds and ages to promote the farm’s mission. We strive to balance the high demands on our operations while integrating education, volunteerism and activism, while taking time to enjoy what we do.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Medway Community Farm is an equal opportunity employer.
MCF Mission: To maintain a place that enhances Medway’s rural character, fosters community spirit and encourages “learning from the land” by providing locally grown food, volunteer experiences, educational programs and public events.