About the farm: Lexington Community Farm (LexFarm) is committed to increasing access to certified organic produce for households of all income levels. We donate produce through two local food rescue organizations and work with the Department of Transitional Assistance to accept SNAP benefits in our farmstand and CSA. We grow on roughly 5 acres of farmland in Lexington that has been farmed continuously for hundreds of years. Our goal is to improve the land we grow on, while providing food for our community. We sell directly to our customers with Summer, Fall and Flower CSAs and a busy farm stand. In addition, we grow and sell thousands of organic flower and vegetable starts for our community of local gardeners.
In 2022, farm production will focus on improving yields, increasing efficiency, and improving soil health through reduced tillage/no-till practices, improved drainage, and targeted amendments. Farm leadership gives staff the education they need to succeed and take ownership of tasks.
LexFarm is looking for a driven individual who is excited about a career in agriculture to join our team.
The Assistant Grower will work closely with farm staff, work shares, and volunteers to complete a wide variety of tasks including:
Seedling production, field preparation and fertility management, planting, harvesting, washing and packing, irrigation, cultivating, record-keeping, and farm maintenance tasks.
The Assistant Grower will be given necessary training in order to:
- Lead the farm crew in the absence of the Farm Managers.
- Perform basic tractor maintenance, and use machinery to cultivate, prepare fields, and maintain the property.
- Help with farm stand sales and CSA distribution as needed.
- Manage weekly and monthly volunteer opportunities.
Hours (may vary for the right candidate):
- 24 hours/week March 28th - April 22nd, including some weekends in the greenhouse
- 40 hours/week April 25th - September 23rd, generally Monday-Friday, including some weekends in May, one Saturday a month throughout the season, and weekend greenhouse watering duties on a rotating basis.
- 24 hours/week September 26th- October 21st
Hours vary throughout the season but are generally: 7:30-3:30 with a 45 minute paid lunch break. Wednesday’s schedule may be adjusted if the Assistant Grower would like to attend EMASS CRAFT trainings.
The right candidate will be self-motivated, responsible, attentive to detail, curious, flexible, comfortable communicating with a wide variety of people and able to keep up a quick work pace. This position involves working both independently and with a group. Preference will be given to applicants who are interested in staying on for a second season. Additional responsibilities and appropriate compensation will be given in the Assistant Grower’s second season.
- A minimum of one season’s farm experience, plus two year’s work experience in any field (part-time/seasonally while in school is fine)
- A positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Willingness to work in all kinds of weather
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and work independently
- Be in good physical condition and able to lift and carry 50 pounds repeatedly and safely
- Punctuality. All staff are expected to be ready to start work when the work day begins.
- Comfortable working with basic Excel spreadsheets
- Employment is contingent upon 1) proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with CDC guidelines or 2) verification and medical documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated.
Benefits include: Weekly CSA and PYO Flower shares, discount on local products in the farm stand, Worker’s Compensation, 5 days paid vacation to accumulate with hours, paid holidays, and 3 paid CRAFT meetings per season, A health stipend (equivalent to 10% of your wages) will be rolled into your salary , for an effective hourly rate of $18.70.
*Housing is not provided.
To apply please send your resume, cover letter and 2 professional references to Emmy at email@example.com
All qualified Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.