Barrett's Mill Farm is a 15-acre certified organic vegetable, fruit and flower farm located in Concord, Massachusetts. We sell the large majority of our produce through our farm stand and our 235-member CSA. We are looking for one Assistant Grower to join our amazing farm team for the 2020 season.
- Work with the farm team on day-to-day field and greenhouse tasks, including seeding, transplanting, mulching, hand weeding, hoeing, irrigation, harvesting, and farm store set-up and clean-up.
- Regular independent work includes greenhouse watering, light carpentry and maintenance projects, assisting with store stocking, and at least one day per week washing and other post-harvest vegetable handling.
- Help guide and lead the part-time field crew in tasks like harvesting and weeding.
- Assistant Growers will be trained to use one of our Farmall 140 tractors and will have regular field cultivation responsibilities.
- Candidates with prior farming experience or who stay on for a second season would also have the opportunity to take on higher responsibility tasks like managing the greenhouse seeding, assisting with high tunnel management, or leading flower picking and arranging.
- A positive attitude, good sense of humor and a strong work ethic are essential qualities for this position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team. Comfortable taking direction as well as giving direction and guidance to less experienced crew members.
- Organized and attentive to detail.
- Punctual. Reliable transportation to the farm is essential as on-farm housing is not available.
- Experience working outdoors in all types of weather and/or experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Prior farming experience is not required but it is a plus.
- Tuesday – Saturday, 7am – 4pm during busiest season (schedule will vary slightly seasonally).
- April – Thanksgiving
- Assistant Growers who stay on for a second season will have the possibility of additional hours in March.
- We can be somewhat flexible about start and end dates, but full-time availability by May is a must.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Pay is commensurate with experience, starting at $13/hour. Fifteen-minute morning break is paid, 1 hour lunch break is unpaid.
- Assistant Growers who commit to the full season will be eligible for 1 week paid vacation after completing 12 weeks of employment in good standing.
- Assistant Growers will receive a CSA share, plus extra veggies as available.
- Access to farm records, including crop planning and budgeting tools.
- Optional participation in EMass CRAFT farm visits.
*Please note that we do not have on-farm housing.
To apply, please send a resume, letter of interest and 2-3 references to Lise Holdorf at email@example.com. See our website for more information about the farm: www.barrettsmillfarm.com