About the Position:
The CSA Manager has over-all management responsibility for the Community Supported Agricultural operation at Powisset Farm. Responsibilities include crop production planning and management, staff supervision, volunteer and visitor experiences, budget management, planning, marketing, procurement and shareholder relations. The CSA Manager reports to the Farm Director, and works closely with the Superintendent of Charles River Valley and other non-CSA farm staff. The position is full time, year-round with a seasonally variable work schedule.
- Oversee the production of organic crops on a commercial scale
- Supervise, recruit and manage seasonal CSA staff
- Marketing and the management of shares, including shareholder relations
- Production of a regular newsletter or blog
- Operating and Capital budget preparation, oversight and management
- Ongoing CSA project development, planning and assessment
- Plan, manage and participate in planting, cultivation, irrigation, and harvesting
- Manage and care for a fleet of tractors & equipment; basic mechanic skills required
- Oversee a small livestock operation, including laying hens and pigs. Provide management and support for a part-time livestock caretaker.
- Direct special projects including fencing, irrigation, carpentry and other capital projects
- Help train seasonal CSA staff in safety regarding use of equipment and facilities
- Administer apprenticeship and volunteer programs, oversee seasonal farm crew and volunteers in everyday tasks
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other Trustees staff.
- Involve volunteers in all aspects of the CSA and manage public involvement in the CSA operation where appropriate.
- Participate in the organization’s green initiative, help promote membership, and support fundraising efforts of other Trustee staff
- Understand and educate CSA staff on the strategic goals of the organization as outlined in the Strategic Plan, Trustees 2017
- Collaborative oversight of the rest of the property
- Other duties as required
The CSA Manager must have at least 5 years commercial-scale organic methods vegetable crop production experience. The CSA manager must have demonstrated ability in labor management, infrastructure, equipment and business management, and posses marketing experience. In addition, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are critical. At least 2 years of tractor and equipment operating is required as well as basic mechanical skills. A strong understanding of CSA and agricultural principles, whole- farm planning, crop rotation, soil enhancement methods, soil science, and general ecological principles is also required. A good attitude, strong written and verbal communication skills, willingness to be flexible, and a commitment to achieving the goals of the CSA, and the Trustees are essential.
The CSA Manager must possess a strong appreciation for farming, the land, and the extraordinary agricultural and cultural history of Massachusetts. The CSA Manager must enjoy working with people, and work independently with a minimum of supervision, and be willing to learn new skills in order to meet the broad range of tasks that will be assigned to the position.
This position requires a valid driver’s license. In addition, employment for this position is contingent upon a satisfactory driver’s record check.
Hours, Salary & Benefits:
The CSA Manager is a full-time exempt position. This role is year-round, with a seasonally variable work schedule. Starting salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position provides housing located on the farm and an excellent fringe benefits package, which includes group medical, dental and insurance, disability and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, and the option to participate in our 401(k) plan.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
Powisset Farm Manager