Location: Lowell, Mass.
World PEAS Food Hub is a project of New Entry Sustainable Farming Project. Our Food Hub embodies a unique relationship between producers and consumers, which benefits consumers, small-scale limited-resource farmers, local communities and the environment.
Assist in Operations of the World PEAS Food Hub, based in Lowell. Assist in logistics for operation of a regional multi-farmer Food Hub, including a 450-share Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, and low-income food access program, providing fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables to customers around the Boston area.
Essential Job Functions
• Pickup produce from area farms daily and deliver to the Lowell food hub so that produce can be packed in time to fulfil customer orders;
• Pack produce in proper volumes daily for each market to ensure accurate order fulfillment;
• Assess produce quality daily, before and during packing and implement system of feedback and education for farmers to address quality issues;
• Deliver CSA shares daily to 30+ sites per week in the Lowell/Boston area using; refrigerated box truck, ensuring timely produce delivery to over 450 CSA customers;
• Work with Pickup Location Volunteers daily in Lowell/Boston to trouble shoot delivery or pickup concerns;
• Provide customer service to CSA shareholders daily at Pickup Locations to ensure customer satisfaction;
• Assist in daily monitoring operational needs of delivery vehicle and cooler facility, and schedule maintenance as needed in order to ensure proper operation of essential equipment;
• Assist daily in maintaining a clean and organized packing site, in order to ensure efficient and effective use of space.
• 2 years of experience in delivery operations;
• Experience handling produce and assessing produce quality. Previous experience in commercial farming, wholesaling, supervising of produce preferred;
• Previous customer service experience;
• Community organizing and cross-cultural experience helpful;
• Friendly, reliable, high energy level, comfortable performing multiple tasks in conjunction with day-to-day activities
• Good interpersonal skills; team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities, tactful, flexible;
• Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment;
• Self-motivated and directed; ability to work well within a rapidly-changing environment;
• Access to reliable private transportation necessary;
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days and evenings;
• Valid driver’s license and a clean Motor Vehicle Record; Commercial Drivers License is preferred.
Ability to perform varied and repetitive warehouse tasks including manual lifting of boxes between 25 – 50 pounds, in conditions that vary from hot and humid, to cold and wet, and up and down stairs.
We strongly encourage online applications. Apply online here.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Apply by mail to: Third Sector New England, Attn: Employment Manager, NonProfit Center, 89 South Street, Boston, MA 02111; or send by fax to: 617.523.2070.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE and New Entry Sustainable Farming Project will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran or disability status.
Mary Alice Reilly
World PEAS Food Hub & Food Access Coordinator
New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
155 Merrimack Street
Lowell, MA 01852