We are seeking hardworking, high-energy, positive individuals who are
motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2016
team. Our apprentices participate in all of the farm's daily operations,
including production, harvest, and retail. This traditional, hands-on
apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be an integral, productive part of
our fast-paced, for-profit farm. Apprentices gain knowledge, farming skills,
and professional work-experience to help them prepare for the next steps in
their agricultural careers. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of
50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming
experience preferred but not required.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with start dates between April and June,
and an end date in mid-December. Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, 5 days
per week. Compensation includes hourly wage, farm veggies, and employee
discounts at our own retail outlets as well as Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma.
Please note that we do not currently offer on-farm housing for employees.
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, and thinning
- Daily harvest of our 200+ varieties of vegetables, herbs, and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting
Sales & Distribution
- Assisting with display, sales, and customer service at Siena Farms South End, Siena Farms @ Boston Public Market, and the Copley Square Farmers' Market.
- Preparation and packing of wholesale orders for restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm tours and volunteer days
Weekly Training Sessions
- Paid participation in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm tours (visit www.easternmasscraft.wordpress.com for details)
- On-farm training sessions on practical farming topics, including crop-planning, field-planning, business-planning, marketing, soil fertility, pest and disease management and irrigation
- Orientation to all of our equipment, as well as our planning documents including crop plans, field plans, soil tests and price lists
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look
forward to hearing from you!