2014 PART-TIME FIELD CREW JOB DESCRIPTION
For the 2014 season, Land’s Sake Farm in Weston, MA, is hiring two to three enthusiastic, dependable, hard-working, and dynamic people for our Field Crew. This part-time position is a great option for those who want to build a wide range of farming skills without a full-time commitment.
This position begins June 2 and ends Mid-September. Depending on your schedule and our needs, you will work either two or three days a week, eight hours a day. We would prefer Tuesdays and Thursdays with the additional options of Fridays or Saturdays, but there is some flexibility. The work day starts at 7:30 AM sharp and ends 4:30 PM with an hour unpaid break for lunch. We will give preference to candidates who can commit to working the entirety of the time from June to Mid-September.
Field Crew members will work closely with the full-time farmers, as well as the Weeding Crew, to operate a busy and complex community farm operation. We grow for a good sized CSA program, a very busy farm stand, and a donations contract with the town of Weston. We also work with our education program to create opportunities for volunteers and young community members to have experiences on the farm. We strive to make Land’s Sake a welcoming, community-centered farm for all involved, including customers, shareholders, campers, and staff.
As a Field Crew member, you will assist in many aspects of running the farm including weeding, planting, hoeing, harvesting, laying straw and mulch, tomato staking and tying, and other farm chores. Applicants should be enthusiastic about learning, communication, having fun and working hard, and must be able to work independently as well as with a team. You can expect to work long hours in all weather conditions. Good endurance and a good attitude are essential!
Field Crew members will receive as compensation:
- $10 - $12/hour, depending on experience.
- worker's compensation.
- free produce from farm and discounts on other goods sold at the farm stand.
- A sincere interest in vegetable production, preferably also experience working on a farm or at least experience in an outdoor, physical job
- Be a fast and efficient worker with a good eye for quality in harvesting
- A driver’s license and clean driving record
- The ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly and to work for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Reliable transportation to get yourself to work
- Good attitude and strong communication skills
To apply, please send a brief letter of interest, your resume, and three relevant references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions open until filled.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions!