2018 Seasonal Volunteer Coordinator and Farm Educator Job Description
The Needham Community Farm (NCF) Farm Educator and Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for
leading youth and adults in gardening classes and during volunteer days on the farm. This position
reports to the Farm Manager.
This is a seasonal, part-time 15 hour per week position, starting in April 2017 through September
2017. This person will work on-site at Needham Community Farm and off site at two Needham Housing
Authority sites in Needham, MA. Additionally, the Farm Educator and Volunteer Coordinator will be
responsible for remote lesson planning and volunteer management. Tuesday and Friday availability
required. Some scheduling flexibility may be available. Pay starts at $15.00/hour. There is possibility for
expansion of this role if additional resources are secured.
Lead weekly gardening classes at two Needham Housing Authority sites.
The Farm Educator will lead two weekly gardening classes for youth and adults at two Needham Housing
Authority sites. Specific duties include:
● Plan and lead gardening tasks and mini-lessons for weekly gardening classes
● Plan, plant and maintain garden in collaboration with garden class students
● Communicate with Farm Manager about status of classes and class gardens
● Maintain records of garden class attendance and lessons
Lead the volunteers in harvesting produce on Tuesday and Friday mornings
In collaboration with the Farm Manager, the Volunteer Coordinator will lead the harvest for our farm’s food
access programs and CSA.
Specific duties include:
● Communicate with Farm Manager about harvest plan and other tasks to be completed
● Demonstrate for volunteers how to harvest their assigned fruit/vegetable
● Verify correct harvest quantities and track harvest weights for multiple outlets
● Lead the washing and packing process specific to each fruit/vegetable
● Track volunteer hours on site and maintain electronic records
Lead weekly summer camp programming and community service hours
The Farm Educator will be responsible for leading educational workshops and farm tasks with Nobles Day
Camp on Fridays during the summer.
Weekly schedule will vary. If time permits, the Farm Educator and Volunteer Manager will be responsible
for assisting the Farm Manager with other farm tasks.
● Knowledge of vegetable gardening using organic methods
● Strong communication skills with diverse populations
● Reliable personal transportation to multiple locations in Needham
● Access to computer for limited remote administrative work
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.