Seasonal Field Assistant at Wright-Locke Farm
Reports to: Farm Manager
Roughly 40 Hours/Week; Tuesday through Saturday
April—end of October (start and end dates somewhat flexible)
Pay: Previous experience taken into consideration, $12/hour
Under the direct supervision of the Farm Manager, the field assistant works to meet the needs of the Wright-Locke Farm and the farm sales program. Exposure to: planting, seeding, harvesting, cultivating, soil fertility, and field maintenance.
· Work primarily with the Farm Manager to complete field tasks that may include but are not limited to seeding, transplanting, planting, weeding, harvesting, mowing, Farmers Market preparation, and Farmers Market staffing
· Meet with Farm Manager each workday morning during the growing season to define what needs to be completed during the day and by whom. A team approach is required throughout all aspects of this job.
· Observe and actively experience small-scale farming.
· Assist with supervising other employees and volunteers, young and old
· Help in preparing and participation in markets, wholesales, and other market-based activities.
· Assist in preparing and participation in farm sponsored events.
· Assist in fostering capacity of farm
· Responsible to assist with tracking weekly harvests
· Assisting with tracking Organic Certification activities
· Responsible as lead at 1 of 2 Farmers Markets
· Assist in Greenhouse propagation and plant sales
· Driver’s License and a good driving record
· Passion and interest in working/learning about small-scale, low-input, sustainable vegetable, flower, and herb production
· Dedicated, hard worker—willing to fulfill commitment
· Self-starter, self-disciplined, goal orientated
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Ability to work both independently and as a team member
· Be in good physical condition and able to lift 50lbs
· Ability to work in a potentially challenging environment and be adaptable
· Have own transportation and be punctual
· Energetic nature and willing to have fun
**Housing is NOT provided.
**Interested persons should send their resumes and references with an introduction email to firstname.lastname@example.org