Harvest Manager Position at Hutchins Farm - for other employment opportunities visit our website.
Hutchins Farm is seeking experienced and energetic candidates for our Harvest Manager position for the 2016 season. The Harvest Manager will lead members of the field crew during daily harvests and other field jobs, assisting the Farm Manager to ensure that all crew tasks are completed efficiently and correctly, while maintaining a positive and supportive work environment for crewmembers.
The Harvest Manager will be responsible for:
- Leading the field crew in harvests, morning wash, and other tasks, ensuring that tasks are completed correctly, efficiently, and safely with attention to quality standards.
- Training new crewmembers, teaching them proper harvest and handling techniques.
- Developing daily harvest lists and a plan to execute the harvest in collaboration with the Farm Manager and the Marketing Manager, bearing in mind crop locations, weather considerations, daily retail needs, and other pertinent factors.
- Managing the morning workflow so that sufficient amounts of the daily harvest are washed and ready for display by the time the farm stand opens at 11am.
- Maintaining harvest logs.
- Helping scout for pests, diseases or other problems encountered during daily harvests, and communicating crop conditions, abundance or scarcity to the other managers.
- Leading the field crew during afternoon field projects, such as hoeing, tomato tying, hand weeding, thinning, greenhouse work, etc. Helping to make sure that such tasks are completed efficiently and correctly.
- Maintaining a safe work environment, including reinforcing Hutchins Farm’s policies as laid out in the employee handbook.
- The Harvest Manager position will run from April 1st until mid-November, with a possibility of limited winter employment both before March 1st and after mid-November.
- Hours during the peak season will be 6:45AM – 4PM, Wednesday through Sunday. Depending on the circumstances of the season, weather, and the requirements of the farm, some days may end before 4PM, or run after.
- In the early part of the season (March 1st until the opening of the farm stand), all employees will work Monday through Friday, 8AM – 4PM.
- At least one season of experience working on a diversified vegetable farm
- Excellent time management and communications skills
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts and techniques, and then teach them to others
- Valid drivers’ license
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
Compensation starts at $12/hr, with a $0.75 per-hour-worked year-end bonus contingent on completion of contract, plus vegetables from the farm. Housing is not available. To apply please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to the Farm Manager, Brian Cramer, at email@example.com