First Root Farm in Concord, MA is seeking two Assistant Growers for the 2016 season -- please note the different start times below. We grow mixed vegetables on 4.5 acres of historic farmland in Minute Man National Historical Park. We operate a 225 member summer CSA and a 100 member winter CSA. First Root is a production farm with a strong commitment to creating a positive, fun, and sustainable workplace for our employees. We are looking for hard-working folks to join our team who are excited about growing and eating food.
The Assistant Grower position is intended for people with 1-2 seasons of vegetable production experience who are interested in building on their existing farm knowledge. Assistant Growers will work closely with the Farm Managers in all aspects of vegetable production, including operating tractors and other farm equipment and interacting with CSA members and volunteers. Ideal applicants should be flexible, attentive to detail, willing to take initiative, and able to problem-solve both alone and as part of a team.
This is not an entry-level position. We are seeking motivated people who are familiar with the challenges that routinely come up in the day-to-day of farming and who are excited to continue their own farm education through hands-on, on-the-job training. There will be opportunities for Assistant Growers to take on areas of personal responsibility that are of interest to them, including: greenhouse management, tractor and equipment maintenance, volunteer coordination, etc.
The Assistant Grower positions are full-time, seasonal positions, with one position open from March 28th through November 5th and the other position open from May 31st through November 5th. Part-time work possibly available in November depending on how the season goes.
The workweek is Monday - Friday from March 28th - May 27th, and starting May 31st the workweek will run Tuesday-Saturday until the end of the season. Hours are 7:00-4:30 on weekdays and 7:30-5:00 on Saturdays, with a one-hour unpaid lunch break.
Additional Hours & Responsibilities:
- Working one CSA pickup every other week. Our CSA pickups run from 3-7pm on Tuesdays. Responsibilities include setting up, running, and breaking down the CSA pickup and ministand. Hours on CSA days run from 7:00am-7:30pm (roughly).
- Weekend greenhouse chores, once every five weeks. Assistant Growers will participate in a greenhouse watering rotation along with the Farm Managers. This includes watering the greenhouse on Sunday & Monday once every five weeks, ~3-4 hours of work. A schedule will be made in advance.
- Participating in the weekly lunch rotation, cooking lunch for the farm crew once a week.
- 2 full seasons (preferred but not required) on a diversified vegetable farm.
- Aptitude for physically demanding work in all weather (rain, wind, heat, cold).
- Desire and ability to take on the challenges of the farm season, including fast-paced work and a physically demanding schedule.
- Excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, ability to take and give direction, and comfort working both alone and as part of team.
- Ability and readiness to be a crew leader when necessary, including managing and directing volunteers and part-time labor.
- Comfort interacting with the public in a friendly and professional manner, including CSA members, farmstand customers, volunteers, and other visitors.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Lots of produce and flowers!
- Farm lunch provided on workdays
- 1 week paid vacation, to be taken between June and September 2016.
To apply: Submit a resume, letter of interest, and 2-3 relevant references to email@example.com.