Community Farms Outreach d/b/a Waltham Fields Community Farm (WFCF)
promotes local agriculture through growing and distribution practices that
are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We forge
relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it
grows. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization running a vegetable farm,
educational and food access programming on 15 acres of farmland, strictly
adhering to organic practices.
Distribution Barn Description: The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
program at WFCF provides 20 weeks of farm fresh vegetables and
Pick-Your-Own crops from early-June through mid-October to about 480
shareholders. Shareholders pick up biweekly or once a week, Wednesday,
Thursday or Saturday, from a market-style layout of produce in our
distribution barn, where we also sell a variety of goods for sale from
Outreach Market Description: The Outreach Market is WFCF’s market for
low-income households. The Market is located in downtown Waltham running
July through October in late afternoons on Tuesdays. At the Market,
customers can take a predetermined amount of our organically-grown
vegetables for just $5 per share, or in exchange for a voucher from our
social service partners. We also accept SNAP at the Outreach Market.
Spanish, Haitian Creole, and/or Mandarin speaking skills are preferred for
this part of the position.
The Distribution and Outreach Assistant will be responsible for helping
with all aspects of running the Distribution Barn and Outreach Market.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
-Creating a warm, friendly and fun environment for participants, providing stellar customer service, recipe ideas or recommendations.
- Using a tablet, cash register, and our point-of-sale system
- Helping re-stock vegetables and products as necessary, with an emphasis on presentation
- Putting away vegetable bins and crates as necessary during distribution hours
- Following protocol regarding opening and closing procedures, including money management and cashing out daily transactions
- Maintaining an organized and clean environment
- Assisting with loading up vegetables at the farm, transporting and displaying vegetables at the Outreach Market
- Interacting with customers in English and another language mentioned above, providing them with a positive shopping experience and engaging them in conversations promoting fresh produce consumption and involvement with the Farm.
- Conveying a strong, informed understanding of the farm, our products, the organizations involved, farm practices, CSA procedures and other relevant information
- Working closely with supervisors to maintain and create systems to properly rotate and record stock, feature items for sale and create signage as needed.
- Experience with or interest in organic vegetable production, farm stand sales and/or seasonal cooking
- A friendly, outgoing, welcoming personality and a neat, professional appearance
- Ability to cope with fast-paced, unpredictable work environment with periods of high volume/energy
- Ability to lift 50lbs. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as needed
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole a preference, but not required
- A valid driver’s license
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Distribution Barn: To begin as soon as the week of June 11, 2018 through
the week of Oct 22, 2018, including Saturdays from 8-3pm with some
additional Wednesday or Thursday (1-7:30pm) shifts to be scheduled at the
start of the position.
Outreach Market: July 17, 2018 through Oct 9, 2018, Tuesdays from
$13 per hour, plus some vegetables from the farm when available.
If you are interested in this position, or any part, please send a resume
and a brief letter of interest to Lauren Trotogott by email at