Brookwood Community Farm is a non-profit farming operation and education center in Canton, MA.
Brookwood Community Farm (BCF) was founded in 2006 with the goals of restoring underutilized
farmland near Boston, strengthening the local food system, and addressing the urgent need for access
to healthy food in low-income neighborhoods of Boston. With the belief that one unified approach can
help address the two problems of farmland loss and access to healthy foods, Brookwood returned to
production a historic sheep farm just three miles from Boston. From one acre of land under cultivation
in 2006, the farm has expanded to cultivate over eight acres using organic practices and operate a
300-person Community Supported Agriculture program. Brookwood also provides on-farm educational,
volunteer and employment opportunities to area youth and adults, and distributes approximately 15%
of our annual produce harvested to hunger relief and food justice programs. Brookwood just celebrated
its 12 th growing season, and we are looking for a rockstar farm manager to come take the farm to the
Our Farm Manager will have general responsibility for running our three fields and two greenhouses in
Milton, MA and Canton, MA. In 2018 we will operate on approximately 8.5 acres. Our Farm Manager
will be charged with developing short and long term plans as well as participating in daily farming
operations. The farm manager will oversee all farm staff and be responsible for sustainable land
management and production. They will work with other staff and board members on volunteer,
education and food justice programs. The Farm Manager reports to the BCF board. Tasks include but
not limited to:
● Creating and executing an annual crop plan for the CSA, 2 weekly farmers markets, pantry
donations and other food access programs.
● Developing and managing the farm budget and marketing plan
● Providing leadership and input on farm labor structure to create a cohesive, efficient &
● Leading all farming operations including staff schedules, organizing workloads, and harvest
● Works cooperatively with other farm staff who have specific responsibilities within the farm
● Providing financial oversight for farming operations.
● Managing equipment maintenance and acquisition.
● Enforcement of health and safety requirements.
● Hiring, training and supervision of year round and seasonal staff.
● Overseeing management of staffing and sales
Qualified applicants will:
· have interest and commitment to Brookwood’s overall mission and purpose
· have at least 4 years farming experience, with at least 1 year in a management position.
· have experience with a variety of tractors and implements and be able to lift 50 lbs.
· be an excellent communicator with previous leadership experience.
To learn more about Brookwood Community Farm, please visit our website at
www.brookwoodcommunityfarm.org . Brookwood will offer a competitive salary commensurate with
experience. Brookwood Community Farm provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified
persons and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to
job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
To apply send letter of interest including previous experience with farming methods, crops and
machinery along with your resume via e-mail to Cathy Smith, BCF board president, at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.