Brookford Farm is a 650-acre diversified farm in Canterbury, NH with about 40 acres in organic vegetable production. The farm is also home to cattle, hogs, and chickens, all raised on pasture as the seasons allow. Our products are distributed to a 270+ member CSA, wholesale accounts, and farmers markets. We are one department on a 'full diet' farm, with myriad native tongues among our staff including French, Swahili, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, and German. Our farm proudly reflects the strength of cultural and agricultural diversity.
Responsibilities for the Field Manager include:
- Executing the planting schedule, ensuring an efficient and punctual process from seeding to transplanting to harvest
- Assisting in the planning of the planting schedule, crop choices, and field rotation
- Management of bed preparation, transplanting, fertility, irrigation, and pest/disease control
- Close communication with the Assistant Field/Maintenance Manager regarding weed control, delegated tractor work, maintenance, etc.
- Occasionally training/leading crews on harvest and cultivation tasks
- Maintaining and creating new detailed record keeping systems in anticipation of GAP certification
- Maintenance and elevation of organic practices and standards
- Minimum 2 years of diversified vegetable experience on a market scale
- Extensive tractor/mechanical experience
- Familiarity with and commitment to organic practices
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Keen sense of efficiency and logistics
- Ability to work long hours and through inclement weather
Our work requires passion, precision, speed, and great stamina. Much of our crew will log 55+ rigorous hours in 5 days. Successful candidates should be committed to sustainable agriculture and have a proven work history in physically demanding positions. Special consideration will be given to those with pertinent advanced education and/or a career mindset. Pay is commensurate to experience and skill set.
Brookford Farm is located on an incredible piece of land along the Merrimack River. The ambitious 'full diet' scope of our production, the ethics and motives that drive us, and the great people that work here make our farm truly special. We thank you for your interest in joining our team and look forward to hearing from you.
If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume (.pdf is ideal), cover letter, and at least two professional references.