2014 Apprenticeships at First Root Farm
First Root Farm is small, diversified vegetable farm, growing on 2.5 acres of historic farmland in Concord, MA. We run a 120 member CSA, a mini-farmstand, and sell to local restaurants. We use organic and sustainable growing practices and cultivate a cooperative & joyful work atmosphere. We are looking for motivated, creative, dirt-loving people, enthusiastic about sustainable farming and community building, to join our farm team. This is a perfect position for someone with limited farm experience, who is interested in pursuing a career in agriculture and looking to broaden their knowledge of whole farm systems.
The First Root apprenticeship is a great opportunity to learn about production farming by doing it. There are several educational components built into the workweek, and apprentices are encouraged to ask lots of questions. We love what we do and we love teaching new people about small-scale farming. We’re looking for apprentices who are eager to learn and excited to work hard.
This is a part-time, seasonal position. The apprenticeship is 26 weeks, from May 6th through October 31st. The workweek is Tuesday-Friday, 8am-5pm.
In potential applicants, we value: willingness to problem solve and think critically, eagerness to get dirty in all kinds of weather, an aptitude for physically demanding work, careful attention to detail, a sense of humor, and a desire to work at increasing efficiency and effectiveness in farm tasks. We prefer applicants who are seriously interested in pursuing a career in agriculture. One season of farming experience is preferred, but not required.
• Aptitude for physically demanding work in all weather (rain, wind, heat, cold).
• Desire and ability to take on the challenges of the farm season, including fast-paced work and a physically demanding schedule.
• Excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, ability to take and give direction, and comfort working both alone and as part of team.
• Ability to safely lift and carry 50 pounds.
• A valid driver’s license.
• A demonstrated interest in sustainable agriculture
• Assisting the farmers in all aspects of vegetable production and fieldwork, including: greenhouse work, soil and field prep, tillage and cultivation, harvest, and CSA distribution. Apprentices will be trained to use our walk-behind BCS.
• Interacting with the public, including CSA members, work shares, and volunteers. Apprentices will be trained in customer service, and will have the opportunity to work at the CSA distribution.
• Being an active, creative and enthusiastic member of a cooperative farm team.
• CRAFT (collaborative regional alliance for farmer training) farm visits to other local farms. There are two CRAFT visits per month on Wednesday afternoons. Apprentices are encouraged to attend these visits, to learn about other farm systems.
• Weekly farm field walks to discuss pest & disease control, weed ID, soil fertility, whole farm management, etc. Each week, the whole farm crew gathers for an educational field walk. We will talk about the week’s agenda, current challenges, upcoming harvests, etc.
• Packet including crop plan, seeding schedules, and other useful resources, as well as a weekly handout outlining the week’s work.
• Weekly stipend, commensurate with experience.
• Lots of produce!
• Delicious farm lunch provided on workdays.
Please visit our website (www.firstrootfarm.com) to read more about us.
To apply: Submit a resume, letter of interest, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please include past work experience, strengths and weaknesses, and why you think you would be a good fit at First Root.