Sustainable Nantucket is seeking apprentices to participate in our Agricultural Apprenticeship program on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Massachusetts. Successful candidates will be paired with an island grower, or with the Farm to School Program, based on the interests and skill set of the apprentice. Apprentices will experience and participate in many aspects of small-scale farming in our sensitive island environment, from greenhouse cultivation to field planting & harvest to farm stand sales. Weekly educational apprentice meetings will be held and will include readings, discussion, field visits and hands-on application. They will participate in the Sustainable Nantucket Farmers & Artisans Market on behalf of the farms, and possibly in restaurant delivery. Apprentices will also meet once a week as a group for 2 hours on an educational project, including readings, discussion, field visits and hands-on application.
Duration of Internship: June 1 – October 10, 2015
Application Deadline: March 31, 2015
Minimum Qualifications: Strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the practical aspects /business of farming. Gardening / farming experience and retail sales experience not required but helpful.
Wage, Salary, Benefits Description: Wages range from $9-$10 per hour. Sustainable Nantucket will help facilitate the search for island housing. Internsmust arrive on-island by June 1st and be able to remain until mid-October.
Application Requirements (resume, questionnaire, and 3 work or academic-related references): Resume and questionnaire sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please explain concisely why you would like to be an Agricultural Apprentice on Nantucket.
- Which of your skills, strengths or abilities do you feel would particularly help you contribute to the work at a farm on Nantucket?
- What would you like to learn or experience while working as an Agricultural Apprentice on Nantucket?
- Farming involves a hard work, stamina and commitment. How do you see yourself contributing to the overall success of the farm’s work? Please provide examples of when these same qualities have been expected of you.
- Please describe your interest in and any experience with sustainable agriculture.
- What is your connection with Nantucket Island and have you ever spent any time here?
- What specifically interests you in working on a farm? And why? – details are helpful.